SAC Focuses on Communication to Help Improve Patient Care
The importance of communication between healthcare providers continues to grow. The following statistics highlight the importance tied to communication and improving patient care.
- The Joint Commission Center for Transforming Healthcare states that 80% of serious medical errors involve miscommunication during hand-offs between medical providers
- Breakdown in communication was the leading root cause of sentinel events reported to the Joint Commission between 1995 -2006
- MAG Mutual 2005 –breakdown in communication during patient transfer is the single most common factor leading to claims
In 2012 SAC is focusing on communication by adding communication metrics to our perioperative quality software system, Quantum Clinical Navigation System™. Using Quantum CNS the anesthesia care team tracks 50 quality indicators for every patient seen at all of the hospitals SAC serves. To improve communication two communication metrics will be added to these indicators. The communication metrics are:
- Discuss anesthesia care plan with CRNA prior to induction
- Discuss any anesthesia/surgical issues with surgeon prior to or after induction
The goal is to improve communication between surgeons, anesthesiologists and CRNAs and anesthesiologists. Look for additional information about communication metrics and tracking on your personalized anesthesia quality scorecards in 2012.